[Foundation-l] Re: Indymedia and FBI

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Wed Oct 13 00:11:08 UTC 2004

On 12 Oct 2004, at 22:22, Magnus Manske wrote:
> Yann Forget wrote:
>
>> What's disturbing in this story is that this treaty which is made to
>> fight "international terrorism, kidnapping and money laundering" is
>> subverted for dealing with a political issue. Indymedia might be
>> wrong, but using against them this kind of treaty made for criminal
>> cases really endangers free speech and democracy.
>>
>> How this is different that what the Chinese government does?
>>
> Unknowingly, you offer the perfect soultion: Have a wikipedia backup
> server in China! If the FBI closes the US site, the Chinese government
> will *love* us ;-)
>
> Magnus

''Earnestly'' folks, that ''is'' a good idea, IMHO:

By intelligently leveraging discrepancies between different
jurisdictions, we should be able to establish a position of strength,
where our standards as regards freedom of information can be set based
on a "legal least common ''multiple''" instead of a "least common
denominator".

The only issue: If we were to use true mirrors, the replication traffic
would be insane.
Instead, the primary, active copy of different countries' Wikipedias
could be located on the servers in the respective countries/on the
respective continents, with "only" scheduled replication to all other
sites. This could of course mean losing the very latest contributions
at a site in case it is taken offline. Then again, maybe even the
cross-global replication traffic would actually be bearable. After all,
only the actual ''changes'' would need to be replicated.

Yes, I confess: I'm an MCSE (among other things).
I was young and I needed the money.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com