[Foundation-l] Re: Formal request: Wikinews project

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 15:38:29 UTC 2004

I'm heartened to hear the "grow it" strategy. Perhaps I was alarmed
because the initial document on meta was quite ambitious. The Slashdot
comparison is intriguing, but I tend to think of their community as a
fleet of pundit robots from [[MST3K]], rather than a solid reporting
crew. :)

Perhaps the biggest question is that blogging and Wikipedia editing is
largely done "in your pajamas" sitting at home. Just what level of
original reporting can we expect to see with Wikinews? Will there be
much pounding the pavement and getting street interviews? Photography?
Phoners? Now that [[Podcasting]] is gaining momentum, the prospects of
radio and TV dispatches is exciting as well. In some countries,
getting access to news events requires official accreditation, so will
this be an obstacle?

Also, a good starting point for recruitment would be to contact the
folks listed at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Press_Corps

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)