[Foundation-l] The names of the Wikimedia projects

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sun Oct 10 17:21:42 UTC 2004

There is a increase of projects under the Wikimedia Foundation flag.

The name given to a project is important. This beacuse most, if not all,
projects aim at a international public and versions in many languages.

A good name must be possible to pronounce in many languages and
perferably mean something relevant. This is very difficult, i know.

The only name of a project that is so is the name Wikipedia. Even that
name is to strange to use for some languages so the have to use a local
version like "Vikipedi" or "Vikipedio". But the name is at least 	useful
in many languages.

The names of other projects are less international useful.

Wiktionary

For me, who have seen it a lot, I must concentrate me to pronounce it
accurately. It also has no meaning form my point of view (dutch). It is
a very strange and difficult name.
For this the dutch version is wikiwoordenboek(.org)
The french is Wiktionnaire

Wikiquote

This is a beter name, at least for the dutch version, but still not very
universal.

Wikibooks, Wikisource and Wikinews has zero points for international
use. It is Wiki + English word.

I do not have beter names or am I saying to change the names of existing
projects. But when creating new projects please also think about this.

One name for all wikis of the same project, or at least for so many as
posibel, is good for publicity use. Whit many, many local names of the
same project you also have more	expenses because you have get the domain
in the local name for local use.

--
[[w:nl:gebruiker:walter]]