[Wikimedia-KR] Wrap-up meeting with the librarians

RYU Cheol rcheol at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 22:12:13 UTC 2011

Hi, Asaf and Liam.

I thank again. You gave an important message to Korean Wikipedians, "We are
involved in a fascinating movement."
I went to Seoul for a wrap-up meeting with the librarians this week and an
year-end party[1] at which I gave a small speech on Wikipedia.

I think we made a success to attract the librarians. At the day after of
the workshop, the president of library spoke to managers on WIkipedian and
the managers rushed to get the booklet of the workshop. They found a
Japanese newsletter reported that Korean National Library had the workshop
and Japanese needs that at the library.

The library suggested to set up a course on Wikipedia as a track of their
annual public digital literacy program at the library. On the digital
literacy program, they covered blogging and SNS, etc last year. The
national library is always a model of all Korean libraries. If the course
could be successful, I could expect some other libraries in Korea would
recognize Wikipedia. Libraries have similar education programs, so they
could think about Wikipedia education.

They also suggested more concrete partnership for Collaborative Editing,
Editathons. They offered to have regular Editathons in the library. They
could lend books and some other materials to Wikipedians because they have
the meeting at the library. They think the editathon could be a meaningful
outreach when they promote certain events of the library.

Cheers!
Cheol