[Wikimedia-DC] LibLab update

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 04:58:24 UTC 2011

Here's an update on the LibLab project:

1) The DC LibLab is getting going, recruiting volunteers, including but not
limited to Wiki DC folks.  We're also reaching out to related open
knowledge, tech, GLAM folks, etc. (and can use help spreading the word)

2) Our first event at LibLab is on Saturday, 11 am : we're doing an
OpenStreetMap mapping workshop "party".  The requirements are minimal so
it's a good way to get the space going.  Everyone is welcome to join, no
prior knowledge or GPS required.

3) We have a wiki page: http://wikidc.org/wiki/LibLab where I've been
putting some more concrete ideas on what to do with the LibLab space.

4) We're also setting up a public facing website which will present the
LibLab concept and can help us get the word out (a blog + calendar maybe?)
about what's happening at LibLab DC.  The site will be at librarylab.org

In all, the space is pretty awesome... it's very visible from the street, a
great opportunity to help make the library a cool, fun, educational place,
do GLAM outreach + local outreach and reach diverse populations.  We can run
any number of wikipedia-related events and workshops over the months ahead.

The head of the DCPL is very supportive, and if the space is successful,
some elements could be made permanent (after renovations of the space in
January).

We still need more people to help out and help spread the word.

Cheers,
Katie

--
President, Wiki Society of Washington, DC Inc.
http://wikidc.org