[Wikimedia-boston] Fwd: Wikipedia at the Harvard Law Library

Molly de Blanc molly.deblanc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 16:03:28 UTC 2011

The people over at HLSL came up with a few ideas of collections we
could work with (and some date suggestions!). The idea being we could
pick one and they would pull together some resources for us to work
with. How do people feel about these?

Faithfully yours,
Molly

1. French Coutumes – collections of local French customary law. HLSL
has the largest collection of these in the US; LC and GWU Law also
have great collections.

Hidden collection – we have HOLLIS catalog records for these but the
collection is not easily discoverable as a whole on google – so a
Wikipedia article would be a great way to draw attention to our
collection, and we can link with the Wikipedia articles noted above
Importance to law: One of the most comprehensive collections of French
pre-revolutionary-war laws in existence
Some of these are really beautiful books/manuscripts as well

2. Crime Broadsides

Not a hidden collection – see http://broadsides.law.harvard.edu/ .  So
there is already readily discoverable information out there, but a
Wikipedia article would be one more avenue of discovery, and this
collection would make the “broadsides” entry in Wikipedia stronger.
Interesting and attractive collection
Importance to law: offers insight into the sensationalism of law in
18c and 19c England

If you want to go ahead and schedule a meetup, we’re ready. Here are
some suggested times:  http://www.doodle.com/rf2u7ctekv5xhstd

Please fill out the doodle poll; if you can only make it certain hours
on specific days, you can note that in the comments section.

Thanks, Molly and everyone else – we’re looking forward to working
together on this!

Karen

Karen S. Beck / Manager, Historical & Special Collections / Harvard
Law School Library / 617-496-2107

Langdell Hall 481 / 1545 Massachusetts Avenue / Cambridge, MA  02138 /
kbeck at law.harvard.edu