[Wikimania-l] What to do about 2012, and the future

theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:48:54 UTC 2011

Exactly, the majority of the successful chapters don't hold regular national
events or maybe limit themselves to a single International event. if we go
by the rule of established chapters, then the onus lies on the most
successful chapters in Europe first before any other. A large majority of
the chapters are still not well organized, having a full time staff member
to deal with event planning might not be a smart decision for everyone.

Also, about what Dalton said above, about hiring a single event
planner/manager in the chapter, I think it's still far from being able to
manage a Wikimania style event professionally. Unless they are experienced
with International event planning, its still going to be a very large task
for any single chapter.

A suggestion that I heard a while ago, was bringing in outside event
Managers for Wikimania, while the chapter provides oversight. I think that
might also be a viable solution to consider.

Theo