[Wikimania-l] Ramadan etc.

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 06:11:10 UTC 2011

WereSpielChequers, 21/08/2011 23:10:
 > but clearly holding our annual conference in Israel
 > during Ramadan was not the best way to encourage people from Islamic
 > countries to attend. I hope that in future we can make sure that
 > Wikimania is more inclusive than that.

It was also during Shabbat, by the way (which is a traditional problem
even for Wikimedia Italia general assembly...). I don't know how big an
impact Ramadan has had.
I think that Meir Sheetrit has done more to explain us why the
participation of arab israelis and palestinians in Wikimedia is so low,
than the associations protesting against Israel[1]; I mean, when he said
how expensive Internet connections are in Israel, and why this must change.

Nemo

[1] That might be because I'd normally agree with them so I knew the
things they said.