[Wikimania-l] Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 07:07:41 UTC 2011

As someone who prefers to have their firstname and username printed along
with their home wiki, but didn't want my fullname printed I'm happy that
aspect of the badge worked - it wasn't an option in Gdansk.

With such a high proportion of us presenting I'm not sure that printing the
word Presenter is important. But a larger font would have helped. As for the
idea of printing on both sides of the badge, that would be good, but you'd
need it to be on both halves of a folded over badge so that all the
miniguides, tshirt tickets and beach party gubbins could be put between the
two halves rather than obscuring things.

Generally I think that the moderation was more effective at keeping people
to time than previous years - I only witnessed one incident of a presenter
being annoyed because he was third  and much of his time had been taken by
the two previous slots overruning. But our approach could be far more
interactive, we are all used to interaction rather than being passive
recipients of information. Yet at Wikimania many speakers who are given a
twenty minute slot drop the time for questions and try to cram everything
into twenty minutes, rather than working out what they can say in ten
minutes and giving the audience ten minutes to ask questions/ refute their
argument.

WereSpielChequers