[Wikimania-l] "about wikimania" page

church.of.emacs.ml church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 7 20:37:36 UTC 2010

Austin Hair wrote:
> * We don't own wikimania.org.

Who does? The registrant's name doesn't ring a bell.
Of course wikimania.wikimedia.org would work just as well.

> * Having separate wikis for each conference avoids quite a lot of
> unnecessary maintanance each year, such as archiving *every single
> page* and updating the user list.

I'm not sure if creating a whole new empty wiki each year is really simpler.
There are quite a lot of pages that are needed on every Wikimania wiki.
Those are mostly templates and translated (placeholder) pages (e.g. "The
Call for participation is not open yet").

For wikimania2010.wikimedia.org a confusing method was chosen – it seems
parts of the database of 2009's wiki were copied to the new database (to
be more specific: revisions of selected pages into the archive table).
Logs weren't copied, which makes the whole thing even more confusing (I
learned about this when I stumbled across an inconsistent undeletion
action of a page which never existed).

How about the following: After each Wikimania, the database is forked
into a new static wiki (it may remain open a while in case there are any
follow-ups on the preceding Wikimania). It is locked and represents a
snapshot of the original wiki at the time of a specific Wikimania.
The actual wiki remains up-to-date, that means after a static fork has
been created, all pages that are not required for future events are
deleted. This shouldn't be too much work.

Regards,

Church of emacs