[Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 date & first IRC public meeting

simonpedia simon at cols.com.au
Fri Dec 21 22:29:24 UTC 2007

Mido,

I just discovered you’ve had a few meetings already.

Have made a link on this page  HYPERLINK
"http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008"http://meta.wikimedia.org/wik
i/Wikimania_2008 at “planning”

to here HYPERLINK
"http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planning/Main_Page"http://wikimania
2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planning/Main_Page

so the less informed might know too. But you might want to make it more
obvious.

The lack of clear linkages between projects, as they move forward at
differing speeds, is the same for all.

Look, would you consider using skype for some of these discussions?

I’m not really used to using it a lot but it would seem friendlier than IRC
(by itself)

Have put a link to a  Skypecast room I just set up, on this page HYPERLINK
"http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communication_Projects_Group"http://meta.wik
imedia.org/wiki/Communication_Projects_Group (bottom right) It could be left
open all the time, if it’s a useful thing. I can send the password if yu
want.

Yu could set up your own but that would just replicate the silo effect of
the wiki elists. I’m trying to find out which comms tools will be the most
convenient to global groups, who are locked into their vertical walls and
narrow channels.

I’ll also mention that I’d quite happily beat the bushes to see about doing
a global link up between Alexandria and the runners up and next year’s
winner, using a fatter version of Skypecast called the Accessgrid. HYPERLINK
"http://www.accessgrid.org/"http://www.accessgrid.org/  This is one thing
they do every year to get some practice. HYPERLINK
"http://digitalunion.osu.edu/megaconference/"http://digitalunion.osu.edu/meg
aconference/

I think the Bibliotech geeks (or a local uni)  would be able to cover it,
and I’ve mentioned it to a few other node operators for a while now. So as
long as there is an interesting programme, which might include a few big
names, who could pipe in from global places, I’m sure they’d help. It might
be useful for getting a few other National Libraries involved. E.g The one
in Oz has a fat pipe next door too.

Anyway, give it some thought would you? All the best,

simon

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1:17 PM