[Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 date & first IRC public meeting

phoebe ayers brassratgirl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 21:49:13 UTC 2007

1) I can make the meeting tomorrow, I believe; see you then!

2) IIRC 16:00UTC turned out to be the optimal time for public meetings
when we were trying to include both the Americas and Asia.
16:00-UTC means:
- midnight Taipei
- 6:00 pm Cairo
- 8:00 am SF
- 11:00 am Boston
- 5:00 pm Frankfurt
- 4:00 pm London
- 9:30 pm Dehli

The only city 16:00 UTC is really bad for is Sydney, where it's 3:00am.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=12&day=10&year=2007&p1=241&p2=53&p3=217&p4=83
For meetings at this time, we probably need to hold them on the
weekends for the sake of Europeans & N. Americans.

The alternative is to hold meetings at 8:00/9:00 UTC -- this is good
for everyone except the east coast of N. America, where it's 2 or 3
am.

3) What makes sense to me is to implement time rotation, and try to
choose public meeting times that work well for everyone, but give
slight preference to the needs of the Egyptians -- it is their
conference this year, and we should obviously meet at times that work
for them. It may be easiest when work gets going to split into smaller
groups and have those groups meet at times that work for the people in
those groups; that's what we did in 2006.

-- phoebe