[Wikimania-l] Wikimedia Conference Netherlands

effeietsanders-list effeietsanders.l at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:31:13 UTC 2006

Hello Wikimanians

"Poor us, Europeans", I thought when it became clear that wikimania (or how
we'll call it this year) will be held in Boston. So far away, and só
expensive... A ticket costs soon €500,--, and then we have to sleep, eat,
drink, and have some fun. a lot more then I spend usually on my hollidays :P

So I wanted something else for the poor people who can't afford it to buy a
ticket etc. Something in here. And I thought up some kind of own, a lot
shorter conference, in the Netherlands. Organized by the Vereniging
Wikimedia Nederland (Dutch Chapter) I hope to have a conference of one (or
maybe two, but probably not) day(s) with some lectures of Wikimania, but
also, very important, discussiongroups ''about'' the subjects that were
mentioned during Wikimania. Some workshops (how to bot etc) and these
small-scaled discussiongroups should make the conference different from the
Wikimania in Boston, especially because it will be for the largest part in
Dutch :) This way I hope to get a bunch of people together, to let the
community get to know eachother, to make friends irl, but also not to kill
Boston in its number of visitors because we attract a lot of people.
It will become a conference with a very different character if it's up to
me, however it will have a link with the Boston-conference. The link will on
my behalf exist mostly in the subjects and some speakers, and of course I
hope to get the Dutch and Flemish enthousiastic for both events. It will be
a great impuls for the Dutch community (and as you probably already all
know, we NEED THAT ;-)  ) and for the Vereniging.
As you are all working very hard on getting a program together for Boston,
and orginizing a great event in Boston, I would like to hear your opinion
about this. I can take those advises into the plans to create something
approaching perfect :P Please give your comments on this and (i need that
really) keep me somehow please informed about the growing of the program (as
long as it is not discussed on this list) because unfortunately MetaWiki is
a true MazeWiki. Thank you in advance.

greeting from the Netherlands, Effeietsanders