[WikiEN-l] bizarre: Women Novelists Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 12:07:53 UTC 2013

On 26 April 2013 12:15, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

> See also:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Category_intersection
> That's an old proposal, but is it becoming more feasible now?

As I vaguely recall, the main barrier to treating categories as tags
in the past was that MySQL was terrible at it and it would have
crippled performance. (I have no idea if MariaDB is better, but I have
no reason to think so.) Hence the workaround with sending the
functionality off to the toolserver. It's really annoying because
cats-as-tags would be perfect for Commons.

- d.