[WikiEN-l] Psychological correlates of deletionism/inclusionism?

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 13 22:42:57 UTC 2013

On 4/13/13, Gwern Branwen <gwern at gwern.net> wrote:

> My basic observation here is that inclusionism/deletionism debates
> seem intractable, like religion and politics, which have long been
> correlated with a variety of mental and neurological observations and
> this deep-seated roots of those beliefs seems to explain why politics
> is so wasteful and damaging; hence the obvious question becomes, is
> inclusionism/deletionism another such case?

I think there is actually a sensible middle ground, which gets lost
because those with more extreme views are more vocal. That is similar
to politics in a way. And why would you think that
inclusionism/deletionism debates are intractable? I thought the idea
that such terms should be avoided (as they are divisive) was taking
hold and gaining ground?

Carcharoth