[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [MediaWiki-l] removing support for older MediaWiki skins (Legacy skins Nostalgia, Simple, MySkin, and Standard)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 06:56:07 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah at wikimedia.org>
Date: 25 October 2012 02:15
Subject: [MediaWiki-l] removing support for older MediaWiki skins
(Legacy skins Nostalgia, Simple, MySkin, and Standard)
To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
<mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/25170/ is a MediaWiki change that's
under discussion right now; it would completely remove all core skins
other than Monobook, Modern, CologneBlue & Vector.  I thought you might
be interested in reading or weighing in on this discussion.  Anyone with
Developer Access can comment in Gerrit -- for an account, just ask at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_access .

Some more resources to look at, linked in the Gerrit comments:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_skins_system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_reports/User_preferences#Skin

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Dantman/Skinning_system/Skin_examination

Sometimes we have to shed some backwards compatibility.  And it sounds
like removing support for these particular skins will enable us to
innovate and move faster.  But it's a good idea to publicize this sort
of thing so legacy skin users can say "I'll maintain the legacy support
because I love this skin so much!", or prepare to reskin, or find some
new third way.  :-)

Also, thanks to MatmaRex who has taken this opportunity to refactor the
CologneBlue skin.
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager