[WikiEN-l] "How the Professor Who Fooled Wikipedia Got Caught by Reddit", _The Atlantic_

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 21 06:57:12 UTC 2012

On 20 May 2012 22:32, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's nothing to answer; and I've been copying the most informative
> or hilarious quotes for posterity, such as an active administrator in
> good standing wondering if it might actually increase article quality
> and not constitute vandalism at all!
> The whole thing was worth it just for that quote; I could not have
> made up a better example of the sickness.

So, your attempt to prove that no-one cares about external links that
aren't references showed that ... no-one cares about external links
that aren't references.

And that editors should regard ELs on the talk page strictly as notes to self.

What I'm feeling about this *feels* just like hindsight bias, but I
vaguely recall saying something just like that.

- d.