[WikiEN-l] "How the Professor Who Fooled Wikipedia Got Caught by Reddit", _The Atlantic_

David Levy lifeisunfair at gmail.com
Sun May 20 23:47:05 UTC 2012

Anthony wrote:

> Being devised and implemented unilaterally is the only way to get
> accurate results.

There's no harm in discussing the methodology (but not the specific
targets or IP addresses), thereby confirming its validity and ensuring
that the effort isn't needlessly duplicated by multiple editors across
countless articles.

If general knowledge of the experiment were likely to impact its
results, Gwern's public acknowledgment would have had that effect
anyway.

> Removing 100 random external links?  For a few weeks?  Then adding
> back the ones that deserve to be added back?

Where and when did Gwern specify a time frame and indicate that the
appropriate links would be restored?

> Okay, I'm imagining it....  Sounds like something that would
> improve the encyclopedia.

Again, what if hundreds or thousands of users, whose methodologies are
undiscussed and potentially flawed, were to take it upon themselves to
conduct such "experiments" without consultation or approval?  That's
the hypothetical scenario to which I referred.

> [rolls eyes]

That's unconstructive.

David Levy