[WikiEN-l] "Corporate Representatives for Ethical Wikipedia Engagement"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 16:51:40 UTC 2012

On 29 March 2012 15:38, Charles Matthews
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>  It would certainly be useful to have an agreed "approach" from our side.
> What even might work? Our natural sort of starting point would be FAQ-like,
> but that probably doesn't fit the bill. Neither would a simple "set of
> instructions", given that COI speaks to intention first.

I chatted to Steve Virgin about this today. He's been working his arse
off getting PR stuff set up for Monmouthpedia, and talking to PR
professionals about WIkipedia, and talking to PR professionals about
Monmouthpedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/MonmouthpediA/Public_Relations

More generally, he's been talking to serious PR people who are
actually sensible about how to deal with Wikipedia. It turns out the
good PRs really are sick of the idiot PRs. So the liaison will involve
a bit of the good people on each side apologising for the bad ones ...

Monmouthpedia has the potential to be HUGE in the news, because
frankly every little town in the world will want to do something like
it - WMUK is getting inquiries already. It will also be an interesting
way to recruit new Wikipedians. Of course, then we have to think about
what will happen when they meet the worst of the present community ...
it's all fun.

- d.