[WikiEN-l] More stringent notability requirements for biographical articles

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 14:21:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Carcharoth
<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The famous people have lots of other stuff out there about them, so
> are not that worried about their Wikipedia article. The borderline
> notable people, though, have their Wikipedia article as they number
> one resource about them on the internet. That is the problem in a
> nutshell - which comes back again to running ahead of the sources. If
> there is not one single source out there of comparable length and
> type, then Wikipedia is 'getting there first' (by aggregating separate
> sources to create the next level up) and that is nearly always a bad
> thing.
>
> Carcharoth

I agree with Carcharoth, and I think we could fairly easily determine
who counts as notable enough so that an opt-out option wouldn't apply.

The moral issue is that people ought to have the right to say "I want
Wikipedia to leave me alone."

We're a group of anonymous or unknown people writing the number one
Google hits for people's names, with none of the training, editorial
oversight or legal responsibility that traditionally came with that
kind of influence.

We probably do come across as a bunch of stalkers to some of our BLP subjects.

Sarah