[WikiEN-l] More stringent notability requirements for biographical articles

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:21:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

> What I would say is that Wikipedia biographies should have at least one source that

I knew I should have finished the draft before posting it... That
sentence was meant to say something like "should have at least one
source that is recognisably biographical". But really just delete that
unfinished sentence.

I also forgot to say that it would be simpler to just forbid the use
of news sources on BLPs that lack non-news sources. It is the
aggregation of factoids from various news sources to "make" a
biography that is really unprofessional. No reputable biographer would
do that. I'm trying to remember what I said in an earlier discussion
(years ago now): if no-one else has attempted to write a biography,
Wikipedia shouldn't be the one to attempt it first.

Carcharoth