[WikiEN-l] Inclusionists vs deletionists

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Mar 23 14:26:10 UTC 2012

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Goes too far. A Procrustean Bed.
>
> Really?
>
> What about this proposal?
>
> "In light of such examples, I think it’s high time to start a
> discussion on whether to amend Wikipedia’s BLP policy as follows:
>
> *WP contributors will not start biographies on lesser-known living
> people without their permission. The project is full of three-sentence
> stubs on people of minor notability, more often than not started by
> contributors eager to increase their number of “articles created”.
>
> *If a lesser-known biographical subject wants their WP biography
> deleted, their request will be honored. The biographical information
> for this subject will be replaced with a template stating something
> along the lines of: "We regret that Ms/Mrs/Mr X decided not to have
> his biography featured on WP. For further information, please consult
> their website."
>
> That was from User:DracoEssentialis (12:00, 23 March 2012 (UTC)).
>
> I'm also going to post what I proposed at that AfD, but I'll do that
> in another thread.
>
> Carcharoth

A living person should have the right to request and get deletion of a
sketchy biography. However, often full biographical details of someone
who is clearly notable not only are seldom available, but also not of any
particular value to the reader. Attempts to fill them in based on sketchy
information do not give happy results. It is what they did that is
notable that we have information about.

Fred