[WikiEN-l] Stopping the presses: Britannica to stop printing books

Steven Zhang cro0016 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 05:58:49 UTC 2012

On 14/03/2012, at 11:22 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been asked to write a short editorial about this development from
> a Wikipedian's perspective and am curious about (and would love to
> include) other Wikimedian experiences -- did you use print
> encyclopedias as a kid? Was a love of print encyclopedias part of your
> motivation or interest in becoming a Wikipedian? Is there any value in
> them still? Will you miss it?

I remember the print encyclopedias on the shelf as a kid. I thought they were great, there was so much information on them. And then there was Encarta '97 on disc, with games and searchable content. Yes, search! I became a Wikipedian because I learned so much from it, and wanted to help out. But I'll never forget the trusty old encyclopedias.

Steven Zhang
Sent from my iPad