[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia as part of a social media strategy for hotels

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Mon Jun 25 16:53:25 UTC 2012

On 25 June 2012 12:57, Martijn Hoekstra <martijnhoekstra at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's wrong with "Hi, thanks for your stuff. It didn't belong here,
> so we put it there for you" rather than "Hi, you put stuff here that
> didn't belong here. Bad user. Find an admin that will email your stuff
> for you through a murky procedure, so you can put it there yourself"?

So, what you are saying is that to properly handle new page
patrolling, users now need to know how to edit OpenStreetMap. Like
with Wikipedia, the process of learning how to edit OSM well is a
non-trivial one.

Also, most Wikipedians didn't start editing Wikipedia to help provide
better business listings but to improve articles about interesting,
notable topics.

And I say that as a Wikipedian who is also an OSMer who spends a
non-trivial amount of time adding shops and businesses to OSM. ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>