[WikiEN-l] Academic study: Wikipedia cancer information accurate but hard to read

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 16 14:38:01 UTC 2011

On 16/09/2011 03:26, Tony Sidaway wrote:
> It appears that a study by a team at the Medical School at Thomas Jefferson
> University has found Wikipedia's cancer information to be very accurate and
> updated more frequently than other sources. Compared to professional sources
> such as PDQ, however, it's a bit of a trudge to read.
>
> http://www.doctorslounge.com/index.php/news/hd/23109
They "used standard algorithms based on word and sentence length to
calculate the information's readability". Fair enough, except that it
doesn't actually tell you about readability. The previous cancer-related
study we heard about indicated to me that WP articles used less inline
paraphrase ("renal failure - i.e. your kidney start shutting down"),
because putting [[renal failure]] allows concision. If we did more of
that paraphrasing, which comes naturally to doctors addressing patients,
the sentences would get longer ...

Anyway it is reassuring that the difference between us and other sources
is more about house style than content.

Charles