[WikiEN-l] JSTOR "Early Journal Content" access

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Sep 11 20:37:58 UTC 2011

> I read the FAQ and noticed this:
>
> "Making the Early Journal Content freely available is something we
> have planned to do for some time.  It is not a direct reaction to the
> Swartz and Maxwell situation, but recent events did have an impact on
> our planning."
>
> Anyone know what that is about?
>
> Carcharoth

Swartz:

http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N30/swartz.html

Maxwell is ours, see

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikisource/en/wiki/Wikisource:WikiProject_Royal_Society_Journals

I corresponded personally with Jstor, but could not get anyone at the
Wikimedia foundation to discuss material in the public domain with them.
They seem to have gone ahead and made a commitment to make material that
is in the public domain available. I haven't tried to make of copy of
anything yet; however, they have terms of service conditions which seem
to allow only access, not reuse.

Fred