[WikiEN-l] British library online newspaper archive

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 11:25:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Carcharoth
<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Oh. I had (foolishly) assumed it would be free.

That would have been lovely :O)

It would have been good just to have a few free searches before
tripping the paywall, just to see if you like the product. And if
there were a small number of free views per month it would have
greatly helped us when using material as a source because it would
mean Wikipedia readers could at least see whether, if and when the
archive was used as a source, it had been cited correctly.

Fees are:

Price: £79.95 GBP
Valid For: 365 days
Credits:  Unlimited (subject to a fair usage policy)

Price: £29.95 GBP
Valid For: 30 days
Credits: 3000 (equivalent to 5p a page)

Price: £6.95 GBP
Valid For: 2 days
Credits: 500 (7p per page)

I'm not sure how they're calculating the "per page" figure. 500 * 7p
comes out as £35 for me, though maths is definitely not my strong
point. I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding what they mean by a "credit".

The pricing also seems rather strange. The relative cheapness of the
year subscription compared to the monthly seems odd: ie, one year is
equal to 2.6 months.

Bodnotbod

Bodnotbod