[WikiEN-l] Linkage bloat

Peter Jacobi peter_jacobi at gmx.net
Wed Nov 9 11:29:19 UTC 2011

Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, the answer to the question is to deprecate such ridiculous
> templates and apply the appropriate categories.  These enormous templates
> make articles difficult to open on slow or mobile connections, which
> encompasses a significant number of our users.  This is a usability issue,
> and an inappropriate use of templates.

IMHO these large theme boxes should be converted into nice portal pages. Portals can be designed more optically appealing and hold even more links. And the articles themselves only need a link to the portal page, which also addresses the file size Problem.

Perhaps the usefulness of portals and categories can be combined. For example, but unrealistic in the short term, clicking to a standard category link should open the portal page of the same name if it exists.

Peter