[WikiEN-l] Newbie recruitment: referencing

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 4 11:28:36 UTC 2011

On 3 November 2011 17:56, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Charles Matthews
> <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > The thing is that with a better classified backlog you'd get some easier
> > progress. If you Google the topic of these older articles, you tend to
> get
> > mirror material back, so I don't know that it is fair to ask newbies to
> sue
> > their own unsupported initiative.
>
> Sue? Was that meant to be "use"? I agree, some backlogs are better
> dealt with by more experienced editors. How can such slicing and
> dicing be done? And if there were manageable chunks, I'd do bits as
> well.

I think quite a lot could be done with Catscan 2.0, searching high-level
categories for pages carrying the {{unreferenced}} template. Something like
[[Category:Places]] or [[Category:American people stubs]] to some
subcategory depth. It's a sophisticated gadget, and the toolserver is said
to be sickly right now. But I imagine a determined operative could come up
with useful listings that would be better for the purpose of chipping 1%
off unreferenced articles.

Charles