[WikiEN-l] Newbie recruitment: referencing

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 22:38:04 UTC 2011

On 2 November 2011 21:07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> What needs to be in place to make it possible to recruit newbies for
> the task of referencing things? (Alleviate the citation syntax
> problem.

I'm thinking that the problem here is inline references. An inline
reference is one where you plonk the reference in the middle of the text
<ref>lots of stuff</ref>. The problem with those is that they break up the
flow of the text, making it very hard to maintain.

Perhaps the Wikipedia should have a bot to convert ALL inline references
into "list defined references":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:LDR#List-defined_references

e.g.

bad links by Mr. Somebody 2008</ref> and more stuff.

which is essentially unreadable, the bot would change this to:

Frobar is a beedub<ref name=ref1/>and can duubdu<ref name=ref2> and more
stuff.

And at the end add: