[WikiEN-l] The expert problem, dissolved

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue May 31 13:30:19 UTC 2011

On 28/05/2011 23:22, David Gerard wrote:
> It turns out that if you're the encyclopedia that everyone actually
> reads, the mountain will come to you: people will go to some effort to
> get their field properly documented.
>
> http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/academics-in-new-move-begin-to-work-with-wikipedia/31523
>
> This is, of course, no reason to be complacent. But it does give us
> something to reach out with - "look at these other fields that have
> benefited!", similar to the approach we take with GLAMs.

That's a remarkably fair and sensible piece.  We're not even close to a
tipping point, as far as others in academe seeing things that way. But
in the schematic "experts" - "Wikipedian generalists" - "Joe Public" of
where our sustainable editor base is going to come from, it tells us
pretty much why academic experts are going to feel any need to be
involved with WP.

Charles