[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia article on [[Santorum (neologism)]]

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 19:17:27 UTC 2011

--- On Tue, 24/5/11, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know that it's been reviewed in analytical terms at
> that
> level.  It's so offensive on one level that academics
> and political
> commentators seem to just shy away from it rather than
> addressing the
> rather deep "Hey, what does this say about
> society/politics/etc".

There is some academic analysis of this sort in

Value war: public opinion and the politics of gay rights
By Paul Ryan Brewer

Pages 80ff, especially the chapter "The rewards and risks of signaling"
starting on page 81 (covering the rewards and risks for political actors
signaling their stance on gay issues to the electorate). Unfortunately, I
can't see the relevant page in Google Books, and amazon has no preview.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=U34pJTdF-VcC&pg=PA81&dq=%22The+Rewards+and+risks+of+signaling%22&hl=en&ei=RgPcTeeYH4f_-gbZwdypDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22The%20Rewards%20and%20risks%20of%20signaling%22&f=false

The work is actually cited in the article, but only for the "frothy mixture"
quote.

Andreas