[WikiEN-l] iCorrect

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 29 09:51:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My other theory is that writing stand-alone articles is not a good
>> thing in the long-run. Articles should be created if there is a demand
>> for the articles from people *other* than those creating the articles.
>> In other words, enough *independent* and reasonable mentions/links in
>> other Wikipedia articles.
>
> We don't know if there's demand because hardly anyone redlinks
> anymore. Whether that's a function of over-zealous link police or
> obviously linkable topics being filled out, I can't say.

If you do an in-text search for a phrase, it doesn't matter whether
something is redlinked or not. In some cases, plain text alone is
easier to find in searches than text with wikicode messing up the
search function (well, wikicode messes up the search function last
time I looked, but maybe they fixed that). My point is that if you
combine the redlink function and the article-space search function,
you can easily see the number of times a particular
topic/person/whatever has been mentioned in Wikipedia, and you can
then add/restore links after creating the article. This is preferable
to adding text to create links to justify an article, though that can
be done as well (it is harder, though, because really, ideally, you
need to reference and justify all the additions made to other articles
as well, and having created the article in question, you may lack the
objectivity to know whether it should be mentioned elsewhere or not).

Carcharoth