[WikiEN-l] iCorrect

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 28 16:28:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> On 28 March 2011 16:00, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You see the problem?
>
> Do I ever.

Fred, a couple of points:

1) You missed out the attribution to geni when you reposted what he
said (you made it look like David Gerard said what geni said, which
would be wise to avoid here, and I agree with David that specific
cases should be avoided here).

2) It is not clear whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with geni.

The general discussion would probably best be focused on whether
encyclopedia articles should be written using statements from the
Crown Prosecution Service. It goes to the heart of whether you have
up-to-the-minute reports on the "news", or whether you wait for things
to settle down, for cases to be decided, and only then report on the
bits that allow for encyclopedic coverage.

I've argued before that the minimum standard for any biographical
article should be a published biography of some sort, that at minimum
includes birth year (or some details on why the birth year is not
known). These can range from self-published on an official website, to
short bios in conference proceedings, to an actual published
book-length biography. What shouldn't be done is piecing together bits
from newspaper articles and primary sources - that is what official
and unofficial biographers do, and we shouldn't be doing it in their
stead.

Carcharoth