[WikiEN-l] iCorrect

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Mon Mar 28 14:50:38 UTC 2011

> I think you're going a bit overboard there, Doc. I agree that the
> claims of the subject shouldn't be ignored, particularly if they spend
> $1000 to publish a correction on a startup site (as long as we can
> confirm it is them). But should it count as a reliable reference to
> trigger a chance in our articles? Not necessarily. Geni and I have
> both worked over the years on a particular BLP where the subject has
> enormous financial resources and the apparent desire to
> distort/falsify his record. If we were to credit his public statements
> as fact, we'd be allowing him to hijack our content to suit his own
> needs.
>
> Nathan

Yes, the usual rules still apply, but if someone says they are not called
"The Honorable", why not listen? The main advantage is that we know that
no one is likely to spend $1,000 to spoof an account. There are lots of
minor details that people know about themselves which are inconsequential
and uncontroversial, except to them when we get it wrong.

Fred