[WikiEN-l] Article Feedback - Ramp up to 10% of Articles

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:47:34 UTC 2011

Re Ray's comment:

> It's difficult to see any logical connection between an article rating
> system, and encouraging new editors.

I'm not convinced that we fully understand all the different things
that made Wikipedia work, and especially what are the elements that
didn't motivate us individually but are important to others. Two
aspects that really attracted me to the pedia were firstly the SoFixIt
approach, rather than write a paragraph somewhere explaining why I
thought something was wrong I could just make a change and see if
others accepted it. Secondly the correction of my errors. Instead of
someone red-penning my work I much prefer that they just fix isolated
errors - if I'm watchlisting the article I have the opportunity to see
what gets changed.  Similarly I don't whinge at people who make the
typos that I fix, I just fix them. I suspect this is part of the
motivation for many of our editors who edit in a language other than
their native one, editing Wikipedia gives them an opportunity to
practice a language in a collaborative environment where their
mistakes are fixed in a non-judgmental way. I'm not convinced that
such editors would benefit if there was a switch from collaborative
editing where they have a chance to improve their English to article
assessment where they are marked down without getting specific
feedback as to how to improve.

So for me there are two close and logical connections between article
rating and editing. But I appreciate that others may see them as
unconnected, and I agree that without testing we can't easily find out
how important these connections are or indeed whether this will divert
people from collaborative editing to critiquing or simply attract
additional involvement..

My concern about the article rating system is that it could undermine
two important parts of what I perceive to be our foundations. I'm
reassured that there will be testing to see whether this does in
practice what I suspect it will, and indeed whether we can do
sufficient call to actions to persuade some of our new article
assessors to actually edit.

WSC