[WikiEN-l] Deployments today

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 1 18:56:57 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

we're collecting some categorized examples of WL in use here, to
better understand how it's being used and what the pitfalls may be.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WikiLove/Stories

So far, we're seeing lots of examples of use exactly in the way it's
intended -- new users thanking each other, experienced users thanking
new users, experienced users thanking or congratulating each other.
Lots of new users use it on their own talk pages, which can be a bit
annoying, but we think having it enabled for experimentation on your
own talk page is probably the most intuitive way to learn how to use
it. IMO this actually has some potential additional value as well, as
it can give you some insights, e.g. whether you're dealing with a
hardcore vandal or just a kid experimenting and clicking around.

We've been talking about a potential throttle to deal with overuse.
These and other ideas are being collected here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WikiLove/Idea_Log

And, as a reminder, the feature is highly customizable by any admin
following the instructions here, or by any user in their personal JS:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WikiLove#How_to_customize

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation