[WikiEN-l] NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 16:18:41 UTC 2011

On 31 January 2011 15:30, Charles Matthews
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I have stated my views on site politics on this list not so long ago.
> Basically the "reform" party comes over as the "complacent" party as far
> as the gender gap is concerned (sadly). So I'd like to see people
> standing for ArbCom being asked what they intend to do about it.

It's January. ArbCom could start enforcing civility amongst admins
now, bring it off successfully and have huge success to talk about by
voting in December.

(I outlined a version of this to FT2 and Chase Me Ladies at the 10th
Anniversary bash and neither shrieked in horror. A complaints
procedure would be a crank magnet. Keep it to "going forward", nothing
past; require asking the admin nicely first; vexatious complainants
told to go away after. Admin behaviour will rapidly modify as they'll
do *ANYTHING* to keep the bit. Admins get more crap than they deserve
from the querulous, but this is hardly an onerous proposal. Anyone
feel up to pushing it through? Arbcom could start this now based on
WP:NPA and WP:BITE as policies, but will probably prefer to get at
least a little explicit buy-in.)

- d.