[WikiEN-l] Support needed for Wikipedia QnA website to open

Tom Jenkins tomjenkins52 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 18:47:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

Wikipedia is a great system to organize a set of articles, and it has a
large help system as well. But newcomers and mid-termers alike would
have lots of similar questions about the system, specific guidelines, or
techniques of writing articles.

StackExchange <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StackExchange>, a free
Question and Answer network of websites would start a website dedicated
to Wikipedia and Wiki questions if the community only supports the
project by voting for it. This website would have a very unique set of
features that cannot compare with the way Wikipedia handles questions,
simply because it is different. In Wikipedia questions are added to
pages, much like a forum. In StackExchange, questions are added to a
database that is searchable where each question can be voted for by the
community.

    * Database of questions, listings by vote, or by newest/oldest
    * User accounts with ranking system per user based on helpfulness
    * Answers are voted for by users, and best answers show on top
    * Tagging and searching for questions by tag (eg. 'syntax',
      'images', 'audio')

I'm writing here to call for the support of Wikipedians around the
world, simply for our own benefit. If we can vote for this site and
visit it regularly to answer questions then Wikipedia could grow so much
faster since newcomers would have an intelligent and easy-to-use
platform for their questions and troubles.

   1. Please start on this proposal page
      <http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/13716/wikipedia-and-wikis>.
   2. You'll need to login (link on the top)
   3. Then you have to click the "Follow" button (or "Commit", if available)
   4. When the site begins you will get a link to it on the same page.

Thank you!

Tomjenkins52 <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tomjenkins52>