[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia status checkers

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 22 13:40:42 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> $ traceroute bits.wikimedia.org

I did this, and if I'm understanding it right it took 19 "hops". The
first one looks like my cable modem, the second one I don't recognise
at all(!), the next eight are my ISP, the eleventh is from an IP in
the Netherlands, the twelfth is "knams.wikimedia.org", the thirteenth
is "esams.wikimedia.org", and then it timed out five times, and then
it completed the trace on hop 19 at the prompted destination of
bits.esams.wikimedia.org.

This is really useful for visualising how internet traffic works! :-)

But my connection is still not working. :-(

I may try hassling my ISP, or I may just go shopping.

Carcharoth