[WikiEN-l] extracting protein target infobox information via page export

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:19:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:

> I am not immediately sure why these are seperate rather than
> integrally part of the article, which is normal for infoboxes -
> perhaps because it dissuades well-meaning but erroneous passing
> alterations to the data, or because it simplifies maintenance. As
> you've noticed, while it's transparent to the user, it's a little
> confusing to working with!

I'm curious as well. I'm also curious as to why the user wants to
extract this information, given that they should (going by their
signature) have access to databases that already have this sort of
information (the sort of databases that should be supplying the
information in the Wikipedia infoboxes). There probably is a reason,
but I can't immediately think of one. Some Wikipedia infoboxes will
provide information is a form not found elsewhere, but I don't think
the protein infoboxes do, unless they are aggregating from different
sources and we are the most convenient marriage of these sources?

Carcharoth