[WikiEN-l] Hello world! (was "Hello world?")

Sam Blacketer sam.blacketer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 22:58:24 UTC 2011

I have to report that I always believed the confusion over Jimmy Wales'
birthdate to be a covert and ingenious attempt to demonstrate to the
community the need to use the facts given in reliable sources, and not to
prefer what might be honestly expressed views but which are not supported by
reliable sources. Perhaps I may have too conspiratorial a mind.

Nevertheless, there are similar disputes for other articles. See the
biography of the great playwright Sir Terence Rattigan for a case where the
date of birth is also in dispute to the tune of one day, and where reliable
sources are in disagreement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Rattigan

I had to deal with a case where the dispute was over a year, where it is
possible to guess at which date is the more likely:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emlyn_Garner_Evans

--
Sam Blacketer