[WikiEN-l] Hello world! (was "Hello world?")

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Jan 14 15:36:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 January 2011 12:01, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 'So Jimmy's claim that the first edit was "Hello world!" isn't to be
>> taken literally?'
>>
>> I don't see why not. It's far from unusual for a tech-savvy user to
>> type that phrase into a document as a first test. I would be surprised
>> if anyone expressed a good reason to doubt it.
>
> Indeed. Jimmy says he did it. It's a very plausible claim. There is no
> evidence against it. Therefore, I suggest we assume Jimmy is being
> accurate.

Except that he doesn't say what it is he did, and that there is
evidence against it.

I'd assume nothing in this case.  It may have happened.  It may not
have happened.  As you say, "it's not a critical piece of information
so we don't need to try and verify the story".  At the same time, we
shouldn't be repeating it as though it is a verified fact.