[WikiEN-l] Hello world! (was "Hello world?")

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 14 12:25:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 January 2011 12:01, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 'So Jimmy's claim that the first edit was "Hello world!" isn't to be
>> taken literally?'
>>
>> I don't see why not. It's far from unusual for a tech-savvy user to
>> type that phrase into a document as a first test. I would be surprised
>> if anyone expressed a good reason to doubt it.
>
> Indeed. Jimmy says he did it. It's a very plausible claim. There is no
> evidence against it. Therefore, I suggest we assume Jimmy is being
> accurate.

One possibility, though, is that he typed it at some point, but there
was an earlier edit he forgot. Memory can be a selective thing. What
you would look for, if going further into this, is the first time he
recalled this and where and to whom. Ultimately, though, it is not a
critical piece of information. Just a nice bit of trivia, and a nice
story.

BTW, Jimmy's speech last night was very nice. Have there been any
reports yet about that event?

Carcharoth