[WikiEN-l] Drake Bennett: Wikipedia ten years on

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 14:46:38 UTC 2011

This ten year appraisal written by Drake Bennett for Business Week
also features wiki-style collaborative editing by a small number of
invited external contributors. It's not perfect but overall I think it
does a good job.

There are some obvious errors which will be obvious to us all and may
mislead readers less familiar with the inner politics. For instance
the response to the Siegenthaler affair includes Jimmy Wales' decision
to stop anonymous creation of new articles (correct but out of date as
it was a temporary measure) but doesn't seem to cover the much more
important policy shift.

The article overall is however somewhat more positive about Wikipedia
than I would have expected as recently as last year. The press and
blog response to the recent fundraiser was also overwhelmingly
positive. I think we've finally broken the barrier and acquired an
exulted status hitherto shared only by such institutions as the BBC
and the NHS.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_03/b4211057979684.htm