[WikiEN-l] Most wanted

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 7 17:57:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Magnus Manske
<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> For years it was slightly bugging me that the "Most wanted articles"
> function is deactivated. On en.wp, the last cache was generated in
> October 2009.
>
> Well, I cooked an alternative. Listing all non-existing articles that
> have at least 10 links from article namespace, updated daily:
>
> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/most_wanted.php
>
> Many of these links are due to templates, which I can do little about.
> I hope it will still be useful to some.

Could you do a version of this where the tool also lists the number of
links from Template namespace? This is namespace 10, as opposed to
namespace 0 (articles). And then allow an option (sorting or
eliminating) to only look at "wanted" articles with no links from
template namespace?

For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AWhatLinksHere&target=British+films+of+2011&namespace=10

That is 'British films of 2011', with 2 entries in templates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AWhatLinksHere&target=Richard+Kruse&namespace=10

But Richard Kruse is not linked from templates, and the links appear
to be mostly from lists.

Carcharoth