[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Leadership (was NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors} - repost

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Wed Feb 2 16:13:53 UTC 2011

> so this leaves this proposed council with a responsibility to mediate
policy disputes and the authority to decide a deadlock in favor of a
strong majority based on strength of arguement and core values
> (openness transparency etc) - this would basically end up being a
fairly weak system especially if the council members had their own veto
in council decisions and the community kept a power of referendum to
undo any council mistakes. The only danger i see is some people will no
longer be assured of the ability to derail consensus in favor of status
quo. Whether or not we want to give them authority to close debate is
well debatable but even with that we wouldnt be creating another jimbo
but rather an extension of the existing community
> governance.  As for secret ballots we already elect a much more
> powerful and perhaps more dangerous body by secret election and those
are the community reps to the board so i think it is a viable and
proven system.

Agreed, (not about anonymous voting, but that how we do things, for now)

Fred