[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Leadership (was NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors}

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 03:34:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> People agree and support the decision.
>>
> Fred, who are these people that are making these decisions and declaring
> that there in Community consensus, knowing that this "consensus" cannot be
> factually validated?

It is in the nature of online collaborative communities that this
general question has no exact answer.

This is fundamentally unsatisfying to a number of people, including
those who prefer various not-yet-universally-supported changes;
scientists, observers, critics, and journalists from outside the
community trying to understand or quantify it; many others.

That's the way it works, though.

I appreciate your point, which is that this way of doing things is
often infuriating, insane, or impossible to actually get anything done
in.  The reality is that we're there.  That's how Wikipedia works (for
whatever definition of "work" you care to apply to the state of the
project here, which you and others feel are unsatisfactory).

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com