[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Leadership (was NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors} - repost

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 01:45:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> on 2/1/11 7:30 PM, Carcharoth at carcharothwp at googlemail.com wrote:
>>> Moving away from what makes Wikipedia different is a step that is
>>> fraught with danger.
>
> Yup, that's exactly what people normally say to virtually any change.
>
>> What is the specific difference we're speaking about here, Carcharoth? And,
>> what is the danger you're talking about?
>
> He's talking about the 'Danger That Cannot Be Named, So Nothing Must
> Be Changed.'
>
> To be honest, I was thinking about starting a liberal political party
> on wikipedia. It's about time we had political parties. My party is
> going to be called 'The Party for Change (tm)'.
>
> I'm not sure what the changes would be yet, but we can work out a
> manifesto as we go.

I am shaking in my boots.  Woe is us!

> It's going to be a New Force (tm) in Wikipedian politics!

You're channeling one of the Terry Pratchett books here, aren't you?

I hereby announce the second party; we're the California Conservative
party.  We believe in "God-or-outmoded-concept saving the Queen" (in
the San Francisco sense; see [[Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence]]) and
will adopt a modification of the Aspen Drug and Gun club ("Death
before Dishonor, Drugs before Lunch").

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com