[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Leadership (was NY Times article on gender gap in Wikipedia contributors} - repost

Stephanie Daugherty sdaugherty at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:35:47 UTC 2011

Got sidetracked and didn't put the other parts of what I wanted to say
in...  Ok. Once we have mediation restructured to take the load off
ArbCom, that leaves effective governance, and effective policing as
key parts of a fix.

Effective governance is a key because without it, as Scott said,
tenditiousness and bullheaded persistence become the only ways to get
things done. That means we need a stronger executive that can decide
to break deadlocks when they happen, or lend structure to debate so
that it can run it's course, as appropriate for the situation. I'm not
saying that they should have unbridled "Jimboesque" authority, but
they should be able to step up in any situation where consensus
process doesn't seem to be working. That IMO means an "advice and
consent" model, where advice comes from previous discussion, and
consent comes by virtue of the office, as well as from the ability of
the community to formally reject it's actions by referendum.

Policing is tricky, because of the fact that calling a dick a dick is
itself a dickish move, but sometimes it's the only way to get the
message across. To that end, a warnings tool would be helpful,
supplementing or replacing the uw- templates with a MediaWiki
extension that requires that warnings be acknowledged by the editor to
continue editing, and providing a record of warnings. This is
basically a very soft block that the editor is free to remove
themselves. Warnings need not be generally visible except in the case
where a matter progresses to arbitration, but they should persist for
a period of time so that patterns of behavior become apparent.

-Stephanie

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Stephanie Daugherty
<sdaugherty at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> from mediation would be binding on the parties, in that the standard
> remedies of "any uninvolved administrator" being able to enforce an
> agreement would apply, and such agreements would stand until
> renegotiated or appealed to ArbCom. Finally, mediators would be given
> access to an expedited ArbCom process (essentially, the ability to ask
> ArbCom for an injunction in a case that has not yet been presented to
> them)  for obtaining injunctions in order to stop a disputed activity
> while negotiations take place - injunctions of this nature would
> expire after reaching an agreement through mediation, or after
> reaching a decision through arbitration.
>
> -Stephanie
>
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> I guess I kind of forgot what we were talking about when Marc brought up
>> an authority. The original subject was nastiness, but that too is
>> possibly unrelated to the question of why more women don't edit.
>>
>> Yes, it is the community that determines the editing environment, not
>> rules or enforcement. They are just useful when someone violates
>> community norm and then wants to argue about it. Community norms that we
>> all support are what works.
>>
>> Fred
>>

>>> If you want a different editing environment, using a body like arbcom
>>> will
>>> get you nowhere fast. You can't create a friendly environment by
>>> kneecapping
>>> people who are uncivil - done like that it will either look like
>>> arbitrary
>>> justice of people we don't like - or in the interest of transparency of
>>> process you'll be reduced to counting sweary words. The problem with NPA
>>> is
>>> that anyone with a good grasp of the English language knows how to
>>> deliver
>>> an infuriating put-down, or frustrate by playing dumb-insolence, without
>>> personally attacking anyone. On the other hand, we end up blocking
>>> someone
>>> for calling a troll "a troll".
>>>
>>> What you need is something else. I'm not Jimbo's biggest fan, and I'm
>>> never
>>> greatly taken by his idealistic "Jimbofluff" approach, but when you
>>> actually
>>> had a leader (who at that time was perceived to have influence) those who
>>> wanted to have influence with him, would strive not to disappoint the
>>> leader. That ethos rubs off. Jimmy was very good at saying to people he
>>> valued, "I'm disappointed with how you handled this" - and it stung.
>>>
>>> The problem with arbcom is that it although people may seek to avoid
>>> behavior which might lead to sanctions, there's little positive
>>> reinforcement. Unless one is angling to be elected (or still needs to
>>> pass
>>> RfA) then having, and expressing contempt, for all and sundry doesn't
>>> consequences. I speak from experience here. I've battled for BLP issues